Monday, March 7, 2011

Crayon Roll Bag Tutorial



The last little project that I wanted to sew for Baby Wavey was a Crayon Roll Bag.  My friend showed me one that she bought several years ago in Amish country, and I knew I could recreated it and put my own spin on it.  

If you are reading this, and know of a kid who is old enough to color, I promise they will enjoy one of these.  When I showed Waverly's bag to Grace, she asked if it was hers, so I told her I would make her one.  I then had to make both Grace and George a bag, and they played with them all evening last night, and then George crawled into my bed this morning and was carrying his new crayon bag.  I'd say boys and girls alike will like this easy, fun, and quick project.

If you've tried Annee's Bow Bag Tutorial, then this project will be a breeze for you.  Maybe you should make Crayon Roll Bag for your little ones and a Bow Bag for yourself.  Sounds good, right?

To make this you will need the following:



- 2 main pieces of fabric for the body exterior  7 inches long by 8 inches wide

- 2 main pieces for the body interior 7 inches long by 8 inches wide

- 2 pieces of heavyweight fusible interfacing 7 inches long by 8 inches wide

- 1 piece fabric for crayon holder 6 inches long by 8 inches wide

- 2 pieces of bias tape 12 inches long for handles

- 2 pieces of rick rack 8 inches long (optional)

- coordinating thread, iron, sewing machine, pins, fabric marking pen, pinking shears (optional)

- sewing gauge (optional, but very useful and inexpensive)

Let's get started!

First iron the interfacing pieces to both main body exterior pieces.


Next add rick rack if you are going to.  I added mine 1 1/2 inches from the top of the main body exterior pieces.




Then fold the crayon holder piece of fabric in half so the dimensions are now 3 inches long by 8 inches wide.




Sew a stay stitch along the creased edge.  



Now create your crayon holder.  Lay your crayon holder fabric piece on your main body front piece of fabric.  The stay stitched edge will lay closer to the middle of the main body piece, and all cut or raw edges should line up.



Then you'll need to create the crayon holder by marking where to sew lines to hold each crayon.  A picture will make these easier to understand.



You could mark your fabric with a fabric marking pen, or you could use pins like I did.  I put a pin 1/2 inch from each side.  This will be your seam allowance.  Then I mark every 7/8th of an inch for each crayon to have it's own little space.  You will end up with 8 crayon spaces.  A sewing gauge makes this very easy to measure and mark.



Now take your front main body piece of fabric and all the pins in the crayon holder piece of fabric, and sew all those lines.  Be sure to backstitch at the top (where the crayon holder fabric meets the main body fabric) because little hands can be rough at times.  

The hardest part is behind you!

Next assemble the exterior and interior of your crayon roll bag.  Place the main body fabric pieces for the exterior and interior right sides together.  Pin and sew around both the exterior and interior bags using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.








Next create the boxed corners for your bag.  On both the exterior and interior bag, open out both corners of the exterior and interior bag, measure a 1/4 inch from the tip, mark your measurement, and sew a line back stitching at both ends so the corners won't come undone.  Then using scissors or pinking shears cut off the tip.




Next zig zag stitch the length of both bias tape handles.





Then attach both handles to the main exterior bag.  Pin the bias tape to the right side of the main body exterior bag.  Raw edges of the bias tape should be matched up with the top of the bag.  I pinned my bias tape handles 1 1/2 inches from the edges.


Baste each bias tape handle 1/4 inch from the top of the main exterior bag.  


Turn the main exterior bag right side out, and the interior bag wrong side out.  Match up the bags, so that right sides are together.  Pin together.  Stitch all round the top of the bags 1/2 inch from the edge leaving a 2 inch opening between one pair of the handles for flipping.




Pull right sides of both exterior and interior bags through the 2 inch open, and then tuck the interior bag into the exterior bag.  (Sorry I forgot to take a pictures of this step!!)

Iron the top edge of your crayon roll bag, and then topstitch as close to the edge as you can.



Iron the little bag, find some crayons to put in the bag, stuff the inside with cards and papers, and make a little one's day!





I had Grace and George take their crayon roll bags to church today as their quiet bags.  (It was raining outside, so we just hugged the window for the natural lighting for these pictures.)






Next up:  I really want to make one last pillow for a shot at winning this pillow contest.  I have an idea, and in my head it seams to look cute, but it also seams like a lot of work.  I can feel my pregnant self creeping into my 3rd trimester and losing a bit of my steam.  We'll see where this week takes me.  I've gone through my fabrics several times today and have picked out fabric and put it back.  Usually my fabrics are so inspiring to me, but with this project I'm just not sure what colors to go with our fabrics to choose.  Sometimes having too many options isn't such a great thing!!  I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

These turned out so great!! Thanks for the tutorial. I'll try it out. I think Luke and Jack would love them! Jack always wants to take something to color in the car. Perfect! Can't wait to see what your next pillow will be.

Anonymous said...

I actually have one of these from Amish Country, and my daughter LOVES it, but i want to make one a bit larger... thanks for the how-to! can't wait to try :) -Erin

Sarah Moran said...

I made to give away for a birthday party last week and now four year old has already put in her request for her own bag. Great tutorial!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...